Last modified (Feb 2015): Media:pilhokim_resume_Feb2015.pdf
- Department of Information Engineering and Computer Science, University of Trento, Italy.
- Senior/Marie Curie Fellow, Post-doctoral Researcher, 2010.5 - present
- Founded eLifeLog.org community. 28 researchers around the world have contributed their lifelogs, collaborated for lifelog analysis, and shared the research to build an open platform for lifelogging.
- Designed a mobile phone-based personal lifelogging App (Android) that collects and sends data to the server (PHP for server and client REST services) for the automated daily activity summarization (C++ for computer vision and Java for sensor fusion) using complex event processing (Esper).
- VP Technologies, LLC.
- Research Staff Member, 2009-2010.4
- Proposed an OpenCL foreign object specification (OpenCL-FO) for multimedia abstraction and management.
- Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA.
- Research Assistant, 2002-2009
- Development of the event-based RDAG (Relational Directed Acyclic Graph) database system to sup- port heterogeneous data streams for information chronicling purposes.
- Implemented a relational directed acyclic graph (RDAG) server (SQL+PHP) atop RDBMS extending SQL (named EML) that supports heterogeneous data streams, unstructured queries with semantic expansion, unified object namespaces, temporal queries, rank ordering and fundamental graph operations.
- Developed a street view traffic sign recognition method for US DOT asset management using a functional neural network and polygon-based shape decision model that effectively saved 86 percent of the manual image (3.5 TB of 50 million images covering the Louisiana, North Carolina and South Carolina states refreshed every two years) review process to identify and check the status of traffic signs on the road.
The full list is available at Publication.
Please see Research for details.
- Database (2002-present): Hybrid graph database system implementation, SQL stored procedures and functions programming, SQL language extension (EML).
- Multimedia processing (1994-present): Real-time video signal acquisition and analysis, color image segmentation, traffic sign detection and type classification, stereo vision.
- Enterprise data management and Industrial automation (1994–2002): Real-time operation data monitoring hardware and software system, range and size meter using laser and computer vision, on-line hot slab warp measuring computer vision system.
- MFC & C/C++ programming (1994-present): Personal information chronicling tools, plant design engineering software, cost optimization analysis tools.
- Longest: RMSIM (3 years, Budget: $0.5 million, Source line: 0.25 million lines) progrmmed by myself.
- Biggest: FORSIM (2 years, Budget: $0.25 million, Source line: 0.15 million lines) 2.5 Gigabyte with running data in full install.
- Industrial automation (1994–2002): Rough mill edger roll gap measurement system, hot strip width control looper system, moving-slab online size meter, plant data analysis tools, on-line hot slab warp measuring computer vision system.
- Industrial sensors: Industrial cameras and filters, laser range finders, optical sensors, loadcell, LVDT.
- Data Acquisition hardware & software system design with Labview programming: Developed several real-time sensor, PLC and A/D data acquisition and control system using C and Labview.
- Web programming (2002-present): Multimedia database application using MySQL, PHP and AJAX on Apache.
- Middle level certification of Korean sign language: I was in the service program for the deaf at South Korea and met my wife there.
Letter from Marquis Who's Who
- National study abroad program award, Institute of Information Technology Advancement, Ministry of Information and Communication, South Korea, 2002.
- Rotary International, Multi-Year Ambassadorial Scholar Award, USA, 2002.
- POSCO, Advanced technology contest silver medal award, South Korea, 1996.
- Pusan national university, Summa cum laude award, South Korea, 1994.
- Journal review
- Conferences TPC
- The 2014 IEEE Colloquium on Humanities, Science and Engineering Research (CHUSER 2014) .
- The 2013 IEEE Symposium on Business, Engineering and Industrial Applications (ISBEIA 2013).
- The 2012 IEEE Colloquium on Humanities, Science and Engineering Research (CHUSER 2012).
- The 2012 IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics & Applications (ISIEA 2012).
- The 2012 IEEE Symposium on Business, Engineering and Industrial Applications (ISBEIA 2012).
- ICDE(International Conference on Data Engineering) 2006: Assistant for session, registration and workshops.
- Teaching assistants
- Teaching assistant: Electronic circuit system experiments, Pohang Univ. of Sci. and Tech., South Korea, 1994.
- Open platform supports for personal life logging: The eLifeLog architecture, Knowdive seminar series, DISI, UNITN, Trento, TN, Italy (November 14th, 2012)
- A survey on big data analytic platform technologies, Knowdive seminar series, DISI, UNITN, Trento, TN, Italy (April 19th, 2012)
- Discussion on personal life logging platform, Computational Cognitive Lab, FBK, Trento, TN, Italy (May 4th, 2011)
- Experience of personal life logging with the discussion on promising research topics, Knowdive seminar series, DISI, UNITN, Trento, TN, Italy (March 2nd, 2011)
- Multimedia content analysis and management, Knowdive seminar series, DISI, UNITN, Trento, TN, Italy (May 12th, 2010)
- Reviews on MEMEX Activities, Knowdive seminar series, DISI, UNITN, Italy (May 17th, 2010)
- A categorical event-based information modeling, IBM Research, Hawthorne, NY, USA (Jan 23rd,2006)
- Experiential meeting system,” HP Labs, Palo Alto, CA, USA (July 7th, 2003)