Limitations in existing storage solutions
RDBMS is a short for Relational Database Management System. They most follow the SQL-99 standard. A number of limitations defer the eChronicle style storage system.
- Arrays violate the rules of First Normal Form (1NF) required for a relational database, which say that the tables have no repeating groups in any column. A repeating group is a data structure that is not scalar; examples of repeating groups include linked lists, arrays, records, and even tables within a column. The reason they are not allowed is that a repeating group would have to define a column like a data type. There is no obvious way to JOIN a column that contains an array to other columns, since there are no comparison operators or conversion rules. There is no obvious way to display or transmit a column that contains an array as a result set (Joe Celko: SQL for Smarties (Ch. 25, p575)).
- Relational databases and XML semistructured information storage systems are proper to store the static data storage and retrieval but not proper to handle dynamic data changes. In other words, whole possible changes of model status should be predefined and fixed on the definite rules. This property makes implementing state machines with conditional probabilities, in which a status of one node changes to next phase by a probability, very difficult.
Paradigms on the information ownership
Without the correct logs of the information from its birth to successive revision the ownership of the information can not be clearly declared. Events logging associated with its information will assess this topic distinctively.
Features of the EFIM
- Data model independent storage system: The back-end storage system is independent to the data model. It may be constructed by a specific data model but can be interpreted by other data models freely. As an extreme case, even if loose the data model which is used to archive data sets are lost, it is possible to recover the old data model from the data set by navigating through their event connection. (Click demo -- It showed existing data models and collected data sets, then a data model is completely dropped off. Finally, the automatic data model reconstruction will be shown.
- What is different with XML?
- Data-type free
- Dynamic models and their inter-relationship representation
- Causal data representation